AD244V The Architectural Competition: Theory and Professional Practice 7.5 credits
Arkitekttävlingen: teori och professionell praktik
The overall aim of the course is to provide knowledge of the architectural competition's theory and professional practice. The course consists of lectures, exercises, study visits and an individual essay. The essay is to be presented and discussed at a seminar.
Educational levelSecond cycle
Academic level (A-D)
Grade scaleP, F
PeriodsAutumn 12 P1 (3.5 credits), P2 (4.0 credits)
End date2013 week: 1
Language of instructionSwedish
Number of lectures
Number of exercises
Form of studyNormal
Number of places *15 - 15
*) The Course date may be cancelled if number of admitted are less than minimum of places. If there are more applicants than number of places selection will be made.
Course responsibleMagnus Rönn <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The overall aim of the course is to provide knowledge of the architectural competition's theory and professional practice.
After the course, students shall
- have knowledege of the architectural competition, its history and regulations
- be able to point out qualities in competition entries and show how these are made visible
- have developed the ability to identify winning design to the competitions task
In addition, participants shall through their individual essay penetrate some key quality issues in the competitions process
Course main content
The course covers the following themes:
1) Competition rules, their background and development
2) Theories on architectural quality and assessment of quality within architecture and the built environment
3) The competition's actors, stages and organisation
4) The jury, its competence and responsibility
The course consists of lectures, exercises, study visits and an individual essay. The essay is to be presented and discussed at a seminar.
• 60 credits within the field of architecture and the built environment
• Documented proficiency in Swedish B and English A or equivalent
To be announced at course start
- MOM1 - Lectures, Exercises and Seminars, 5.0 credits, grade scale: P, F
- MOM2 - Essay, 2.5 credits, grade scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
The course contains two moments:
MOM1, Lectures, exercises and seminars, 5hp, grade P,F
MOM2, Essay, 2,5hp, grade P,F
For final grade, both moments have to be passed, and 75% attendance at all tuition is required.
Magnus Rönn, email@example.com
Magnus Rönn <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 12.