Skip to main content

Residence permit for studies

If you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA country you need to apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden. The authority responsible for issuing residence permits in Sweden is the Swedish Migration Agency.

Live stream with the Swedish Migration Agency

Study in Sweden and the Swedish Migration Agency offered a live stream about applying for a residence permit 26 April 2022, 15:00 CEST. 

Check the status of your application

Once you have submitted your application, you can check if the application or appeal has been registered as received by the Swedish Migration Agency. You can also see if a decision has been made in your case.

Please note that KTH is unable to influence or expedite the processing of your residence permit application. However, KTH is in touch with the Swedish Migration Agency and foreign missions of Sweden. These authorities are aware of the KTH timeline and work towards ensuring that students are able to start their studies in time.

Check your application 

Work during studies 

International students are allowed to work in Sweden during their period of study. No additional work permit is needed. However, be aware that it is difficult to find a part-time job in Stockholm, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

Read more about work during studies