Skip to main content
To KTH's start page To KTH's start page

KTH Field Studies - Travel grant for degree projects in low- and middle-income countries

Through KTH Field Studies (FS), you can get a travel grant for writing your degree project in a low- and middle-income country, for example, in Latin America, Africa, or Asia. Through FS, you can increase your knowledge, understanding, and experience of challenges and environments in low- and middle-income countries.


The application for spring semester 2025 will open in September 2024.

We will have an information meeting about KTH Field Studies in September. If you are interested in participating in the information meeting, please sign up using our form for interested students below, and we will contact you when we have more information.

Sign up for more information regarding KTH Field Studies

KTH Field Studies, FS, is a KTH-funded travel grant that gives you, as a KTH student, the opportunity to carry through your degree project, at the bachelor's or master's level, in a low- or middle-income country. The field studies have to result in a degree project in English at the bachelor's or master's level (15 or 30 ECTS credits). The stay abroad needs to be at least eight consecutive weeks. The amount of the travel grant is 15000 SEK per person. 

An FS study is characterized by a connection to the Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda 2030 . FS prepares you as a student to work in a global context and to strengthen your knowledge about the Sustainable Development Goals.

The FS travel grant is a way to partly finance your field studies abroad. Please note however that you can write your degree project abroad also without the FS travel grant.

Do you have questions about FS? Send an email to .

Step-by-step guide for KTH Field Studies

What is a low- or middle- income country?

Countries that Sweden cooperates with, and with whom Swedish development cooperation is aimed at and implemented in, are the low- or middle-income countries in which the KTH FS projects can be carried out.

List of countries with whom Swedish development cooperation is aimed at and implemented in (


To be eligible for the FS travel grant, you need to:

  • be a student in a programme on bachelor's or master's level at KTH
  • accomplish a degree project at the bachelor's or master's level

You also need to have a sufficient amount of completed credits within your programme:

  • If you intend to write your bachelor's degree project abroad, you must have 120 ECTS credits after period 1 of the academic year in which you apply to KTH Field Studies.
  • If you intend to write your master's degree project abroad, you must have 180 ECTS credits from study years 1-3, as well as 45 ECTS credits on the advanced level after period 1 of the academic year in which you apply to KTH Field Studies.
  • Applicants who only study a master's program at KTH and have taken a bachelor's degree at another university than KTH must have obtained 45 credits in completed courses at KTH up to, and including, study period 1 of the academic year you apply to KTH FS.


You apply in the KTH's application system Mobility Online. The application is made in two steps. In the first part, you fill in a form with personal details, contact information, and summarised information about your project.

When you have submitted the form, you will receive an email from Mobility Online asking you to register via the link in the email and upload the following documents:

  • A portrait photo.
  • A copy of your passport.
  • A project description in English, including a preliminary budget. Find more information on Template for project plan, KTH Field Studies .
  • A certificate from your supervisor or examiner at KTH regarding the project's adequacy for your degree project.
  • A certificate from the contact person in the host country, preferably directed to KTH, showing that you are welcome to conduct your field studies in the host country.
  • Other relevant certificates, such as language certificates (for languages other than Swedish and English), certificates regarding previous development studies, etc. 

Once you have started your application in Mobility Online, you can work on it until the application deadline. A complete application, including the required documents, needs to be uploaded to the application before the application deadline.


Based on the applications, a selection will be made where your personal suitability will be assessed, as well as your project's relevance to the Sustainable Development Goals and the project's feasibility. The eligibility requirements, as well as the requirements for the implementation, needs to be fulfilled for you to get a travel grant. Language skills in the official language of the host country are meritorious. Projects that promote cooperation with institutions, persons and organizations in the host country are prioritized in the selection.


You can find a project in various ways, for example, through your supervisor or examiner at KTH or through your contacts. You can find a few project ideas from Stockholm Environment Institute and Engineers Without Borders below. 

KTH has regional advisors you can contact for assistance with eventual contacts and projects. To contact the regional advisors, or if you have general questions about KTH Field Studies, email .