Degree Programme in Medical Engineering (CMEDT), Programme syllabus for studies starting in autumn 2015
Last edit: 13/01/2017
The programme is Sweden’s first Master of Science in Engineering within Medical Engineering and should educate the future’s engineers for work in the area where technology and medicine meet. A Master of Science in Engineering within Medical engineering will have the knowledge in order to, in different medical-technical situation, be able to both analyse and solve problems and think innovative.
Beyond the goals which are specified in the Higher education ordinance, a Master of Science in Engineering who graduates from the programme in Medical Engineering, should show:
Knowledge and understanding
- deep knowledge within mathematics and natural science and technology within the chosen technical specialisation (second level)
- Deep knowledge within the medical-technical area, knowledge within anatomy, physiology, and medicine, and understanding for health and medical care’s need of technical solutions.
- Knowledge and scientific tools in order to analyse, work with and evaluate facts and awareness about how knowledge is developed within natural science, technology and social science.
Skills and abilities
- The ability to independently, as well as in a group, be able to convert knowledge and abilities into practical usage with regards to relevant scientific, professional, and social judgments and approaches
- The ability to analyse, formulate and handle technical problems from a system perspective, with the starting point in the needs and function and also with regards to business related conditions, medical consideration and technology’s relationship with society.
- The ability to communicate orally and in writing, in Swedish and English, with different target groups, especially medical care’s different players, on a level which is required for an international carrier.
Ability to make judgments and adopt a standpoint
- responsibility and appreciation for ethics with regards to technical, medical, economical, environmental, and society questions.
- awareness about how one’s own personal values and approaches affect definitions and judgements of technical and medical problems
- a critical approach to established methods and theories and to how knowledge is developed within natural science, technology and social science.
- desire to follow and utilise knowledge development within the medical-technical area
For the local degree ordinance, see the KTH-handbook.