Degree Programme in Civil Engineering and Urban Management (CSAMH), Programme syllabus for studies starting in autumn 2017
Last edit: 01/11/2019
The information applies to students starting their studies in the academic year 2017-2018. There may be changes in programme content for years 2-5. Always refer to www.kth.se/utbildning for information on the latest approved syllabus.
The Degree Programme in Civil Engineering and Urban Management aims to provide students with prerequisites and the ability to participate in and manage work on how buildings, infrastructure and cities should be designed, built and administered. This also includes how institutions and regulatory systems should be developed to provide a good living environment and good development conditions for private individuals, trade and industry and society at large.
The Programme provides a broad knowledge base within mathematics-natural science subjects and civil engineering and urban management during the initial years and thereafter a specialisation within a specific civil engineering area in Urban Management will follow.
In addition to the objectives which apply for the civil engineering degree in the Higher Education Ordinance, the following specified requirements should also apply to a civil engineering graduate of the Degree Programme in Civil Engineering and Urban Management at KTH:
Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrate knowledge of the technical and scientific basis for being able to work within a specialism within the technological area of Civil Engineering and Urban Management.
- Demonstrate such breadth and depth of knowledge which is necessary for working independently as a civil engineer within the technological area of Civil Engineering and Urban Management.
- Through supplementary subject knowledge, demonstrate understanding of the significance of technology applications for sustainable urban development as well as how the planning, construction and administrative procedure, the built environment and physical infrastructure can be developed.
Skills and abilities
- Demonstrate the ability to, with a holistic view, formulate and handle complex issues within the technological area of Civil Engineering and Urban Management.
- Demonstrate the ability to follow the development of knowledge in the technological area of Civil Engineering and Urban Management and apply the knowledge in practice.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop products, processes and systems within the technological area of Civil Engineering and Urban Management, taking into account the conditions and needs of human beings and society's goals for economical, social and ecological sustainable development.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently, and in collaboration with groups with different composition.
- Demonstrate the ability to argue and discuss problems and solutions within the technological area of Civil Engineering and Urban Management in verbal and written reports in Swedish and English with different target groups in both national and international contexts.
- Demonstrate individual and professional skills for working as an engineer in a leading role.
Ability to make judgments and adopt a standpoint
- Demonstrate insight into the opportunities and limitations of urban management, its role in society and the responsibility of human beings for how it is used, including ethical, social, financial as well as environmental and work environment aspects.
- Demonstrate the ability of critical and independent thinking and assessment.