Extent and content of the programme
Master's Programme, Embedded Systems, 120 credits (TEBSM), Programme syllabus for studies starting in autumn 2019
Last edit: 25/10/2019
The programme comprises two years and 120 credits. Education level is second-cycle. The instruction language is English in all courses.
The program offers four tracks:
- Embedded Electronics has the main focus on the design of electronics in an embedded system, i.e., how sensors, AD/DA-converters and other components work, and how to design Printed Circuit Boards, ASICs and programming FPGAs. The student can sudy to become a specialist in the development of Sensor-based and Mixed-Signal Systems, (Multi-Processor) System-on-Chip (SoC) design, or building electronic gadgets for Internet-of-Things (IoT).
- Embedded Platforms has the main focus on Embedded Platform- i.e., embedded hardware and its interaction with embedded software- design. The student can study to become a specialist in the development of Embedded (Multi-care) DSP platforms, Embedded (Multi-core) Computer platforms, and Embedded (Multi-care) Control platforms.
- Embedded Software has the main focus in software engineering of (Distributed) Embedded Systems, i.e., development, management and test of (Distributed) Embedded Software for Embedded (Multi-care) Platforms. The student can study to become a specialist in Embedded Real-Time (Control) SW and general Embedded (Multi-care) Computer SW.
- Embedded Control has the main focus on design, management and development of (Distributed) Embedded Control Systems for applications in Automation, Mechatronics, and Robotics.
Recomended prerequisites for the different tracks:
- Embedded Electronics track: Basic course in analog electronics.
- Embedded Platforms: None except special requirements.
- Embedded Software track: A course in discrete mathematics. Good programming skills.
- Embedded Control-track: Basic course in Mechanics (equivalent SG1102). A basic course in Control Theory.
International Dual Degree ‒ For students that are interested in spending one year abroad, there is the possibility to do a Dual Degree i.e., by studying one year at KTH and one year on one of our partner universities (at present UESTC in China and Khalifa University in Dubai). Courses are choosen in agreement with the intended partner university.