Last edit: 09/01/2018
The education program Medical engineering is an interdisciplinary program that is carried out in close cooperation with Karolinska Institutet (KI). In this program, the same basic technical and scientific courses as in the program Electrical engineering is studied, but instead of taking advanced courses the student broadens his/her education by taking courses in anatomy, physiology and medical engineering, like Medical Measurement and Monitoring, Medical Imaging Systems and Clinical Engineering.
The aim is to educate engineers that have both basic medical and technical knowledge and thereby can be a link between the industry and physicians and health-care personnel, either at the hospitals or in the industry that produces medical engineering equipment for example with operation, purchase, maintenance, development or education.
With this knowledge and by learning to use technical and scientific sources of information the education program should give good basis for continued personal development and the "lifelong learning" both within the own and within new subject areas.
In addition to the aims that are specified in The Higher Education Ordinance should an engineer that has been examined from Medical engineering at KTH show:
Knowledge and understanding
- basic knowledge within computer technology/software development and electronics and understanding basic concept within the medical field
- knowledge of the organisation and conditions of the care and relevant legislation
- broad knowledge and in certain areas advanced knowledge within medical technology
- basic knowledge in mathematics and ability to critically and systematically use knowledge to modulate, simulate or evaluate developments on the basis of relevant information.
Skills and abilities
- ability to independently identify, formulate and solve problems • ability to handle and shape products, processes and system from both technical, ethical and economical aspects • ability to work in multicultural and multi-disciplinary project groups consisting of engineers as well as non-engineers and be able to communicate his/her results
Ability to make judgments and adopt a standpoint
- knowledge of products and the design of systems to be best adapted to man's wish and needs and considering environmental aspects
- responsibility and feeling for ethics regarding technical, medical, economical, environmental and social issues.
- consciousness about how own personal values and positions influence definition and assessments of technical and medical problems