Senast ändrad: 2010-02-05
In addition to the general objectives for Masters programmes as stated in the national degree ordinance and the local degree policy of KTH, specific learning outcomes are defined for the Masters programme Urban Planning and Design.
Kunskap och förståelse
After completing the programme requirements students shall:·
- Comprehend more clearly the relation between theory and practice in urban planning and design and the plethora of disciplines involved in bridging architecture and planning on micro and meso scales.
- Have good knowledge and understanding of problems that arise in creating and maintaining environments for urban activities as well as approaches and methods of urban planning and design in helping to cope with such problems.
- Have good knowledge and understanding of various contemporary approaches and trends to everyday urbanism problems in cities and suburban areas
- Have sound knowledge on the processes that determine urban change, the actors that are involved, and the aesthetical, social, economic and environmental determinants that contribute to a sustainable society.
- Understand theoretically and practically the complexities of urban design issues in not just designing but also retrofitting suburban, town or central urban areas.
Färdigheter och förmågor
After completing the programme requirements students shall:
- Understand theoretically and practically the complexities of spatial planning and urban design issues and relate them to their social, economical, environmental, political context
- Be able to carry out advanced studies on current problems, opportunities and future needs in the field of planning and urban design at the local, national and international level
- Have advanced skills of studio work in order to comprehend major urban issues both as end users and as researchers and technical experts.
- Ability to apply concepts, tools and theoretical approaches in the process of design and planning· Be able to carry out analyses on current trends and future needs related to urban planning and design.
Värderingsförmåga och förhållningssätt
After completing the programme requirements students shall be able to:
- Analyse the merits of theoretical concepts, policies, plans and projects based on a comprehensive assessment
- Detect the implicit assumptions in theoretical and societal views on urban planning problems
- Contextualise design objectives and policies in different timely, cultural and institutional backgrounds
- Develop their own opinion on the nature and manner of dealing with new planning and design problems