Skip to main content

Residence permit for studies

If you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA country you need to apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden. You apply to the Swedish Migration Agency, the authority responsible for issuing residence permits in Sweden.

Mobile passport checks

In early December, The Swedish Migration Agency will, together with the Swedish Embassies, carry out mobile passport checks in North America, Asia and Brazil for those who live in Canada, USA, Brazil, Hong Kong or Taiwan. You may avoid a long travel to the embassy by visiting the mobile passport checks.

If you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss student and are about to study in Sweden for a period of time longer than three months, you need to apply for a residence permit for higher education. This also applies to you if you will study in a mobility programme within the EU and will begin your studies in Sweden. The permit must be issued before you travel to Sweden. Please note that the residence permit card issued by the Swedish Migration Agency cannot be used as an identification document.

On the Swedish Migration Agency's website (, you will find full information on how to apply for a residence permit. Please note that you have to be admitted to full-time studies and be able to support yourself financially. From 1 November 2022, you also have to show your passport in an in-person meeting at a Swedish embassy or consulate-general.

Please note that, in case you are a tuition fee paying student, you must have paid the first instalment of the tuition fee before applying for a residence permit. KTH's Finance Office will send out the tuition fee invoice shortly after the admission results are published. Since the residence permit process will take some time, we recommend that you pay the invoice and start the application for residence permit as soon as possible.

Resi­dence permit for studies in higher educa­tion ( 

KTH information regarding the new stricter residence permit procedure

Rules for students from EU, EEA and Switzerland

How to apply for a residence permit

In February 2023, Study in Sweden produced a video, in cooperation with the Swedish Migration Agency, on how to apply for the residence permit. 

Youtube: How to apply for a residence permit

Check the status of your application

Once you have submitted your application, you can check if the application or appeal has been registered as received by the Swedish Migration Agency. You can also see if a decision has been made in your case.

Please note that KTH is unable to influence or expedite the processing of your residence permit application. However, KTH is in touch with the Swedish Migration Agency and foreign missions of Sweden. These authorities are aware of the KTH timeline and work towards ensuring that students are able to start their studies in time.

Check your application 

Work during studies 

International students are allowed to work in Sweden during their period of study. No additional work permit is needed. However, be aware that it is difficult to find a part-time job in Stockholm, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

Work during studies