Skip to main content

Living in Sweden

Are you new to Sweden? Welcome! When you have arrived and started your life in Stockholm there are a few things to sort out, for example getting a student discount card and maybe getting a Swedish bank account. Here we have collected important things to know when you first get settled.

New to KTH? Read our guide

Are you a newly admitted student? Read our guide to living and studying in Sweden and at KTH, where we summarize some important things to know about living in Sweden and differences in studies compared to other countries.

New at KTH: Living and studying in Sweden

Residence permit

If you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA country you need to apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden. The authority responsible for issuing residence permits in Sweden is the Swedish Migration Agency.


This page describes the healthcare system in Sweden and what applies to you as an international student if you need to seek healthcare in Sweden.


All students at KTH are insured through a personal injury insurance on KTH's premises and during travel to and from KTH. However, you must have additional medical insurance coverage.

Banking and payments

Here you will find information on what to keep in mind if you want to open a bank account in Sweden and some useful links.

Work during studies

Do you want to work part-time during your studies? International students with a residence permit for studies can work in Sweden during their study period. 

Living sustainably in Sweden

Here are some tips for living more sustainably in your everyday student life in Sweden. Several of the tips can also help you save money.

A photo of Stockholm's skyline at dusk
Riddarholmen in central Stockholm at sunset.
Belongs to: Student web
Last changed: Apr 21, 2023