Skip to main content

Important preparations for internship abroad

There may be a lot to think about before you do an internship abroad, but if you begin your preparations as soon as possible, everything becomes easier.


You generally have to apply for a visa if you are doing an internship in a country outside Europe. Contact the country's embassy in Sweden for more information. For students who need visas, it is vital to check passports' validity period. Usually, a passport must be valid for at least six months after the planned date of return to Sweden to obtain a visa.

Remember that it can take more than one month to obtain a student visa for certain countries. If you intend to travel around the country before your studies begin or attend a language course, you must start well before your leaving date.

If you are travelling to an EU country, you need to get information on registering your right of residence. The partner university usually informs you about this when you arrive.


Learn more about your financial opportunities at Funding for internship abroad .

Insurance and healthcare

All KTH students who carry out exchange studies through KTH are automatically covered by the insurance named Student UT. The insurance also covers you if you receive the Erasmus scholarship for an internship, but you must have a written agreement. Check with your international coordinator. As proof of insurance, you get a Medical Insurance Card (MIC) before departure from your international coordinator. In the event of injury/accident/loss, you should complete a claim form signed by you and KTH. More information and full terms and conditions are available on Kammarkollegiet website .

Healthcare in the EU / EEA

If you are going to study in another EU or EEA country you are entitled to medical benefits under the same conditions as the country's inhabitants. For this to work you must have with you the EHIC, "European card". European card is free of charge and can be ordered via the Social Insurance Agency . Please note that insurance for exchange students, Student UT, does not replace medical expenses that could have been avoided with the help of the European card.

Healthcare outside the EU / EEA

Your Medical Insurance Card (MIC) shows that you can be offered medical care. The outlays you do, you can get compensation from Kammarkollegiet, provided that your claim is approved. Study the conditions of the insurance prior to departure on Kammarkollegiet website .


Check in time if you need to complete your vaccination protection. For stays within the EU this is generally not needed. If you are traveling outside the EU, you should always consult a doctor regarding vaccination needs. You can get vaccinated at health center or on special vaccination centers. Learn more about infectious diseases and vaccinations on the Public Health Agency website .

Bring with you

  • European health insurance card
  • Insurance certificate - Medical Insurance Card if you are an exchange student and insured via the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet)
  • Identity card and passport

The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs travel recommendations

The more information about the country and the university you will study at you have before your departure, the better! The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs provides information about the security situation, climate, visa and health risks in the country you are staying in.