Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
- The basic concepts within philosophy of science and research methodology, such as causality, data, correlation, hypothesis, inductive-deductive methods.
- Special methods and problems within computer science and mathematics.
- Research methodology within engineering projects.
- Experimental methodology.
- Ethics in science and the role of science in society.
- How to read and write scientific reports.
- Practical training in writing of scientific reports (similar to degree projects).
Intended learning outcomes
Having passed the course, the student should be able to:
- explain and analyse scientific theories relevant for research in computer science,
- explain and analyse scientific methods relevant for research in computer science,
- review scientific articles in computer science with regard to theory, method and result critically
- identify methodological problems in a study
- identify ethical problems in different scientific situations and discuss them
- plan and carry out the writing of a scientific report.
Literature and preparations
Corresponding the qualification requirements for Master of Science in Computer Science or Machine Learning.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- HEM1 - Exercises, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- HEM3 - Essay, 1.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- QUI1 - Digital quizzes, 3.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Written and oral examination is done for higher grades on QUI1.
Other requirements for final grade
Attendance at the seminars is mandatory.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web DA2210
Main field of study
Discuss with the instructor.
The previous course component TEN1 is replaced by QUI1.
In this course, the school's honor code is applied, see: