Course contents *
Before the degree project course is started, the student should have identified an appropriate degree project task and formulated a project proposal so that this can be presented to examiner for approval The assignment should be chosen, so that it implies a natural progression of the knowledge and skills that have been acquired within the education and in a possible specialisation within the education.
The student should write an individual plan for the degree project in which the problem description/assignment and the preconditions for the implementation of the work should be specified. The individual plan for the degree project should contain background including problem description and scientific issues, purpose, objective, demarcations, the project's relevance , methods and time plan for the implementation of the degree project. The plan should also contain a brief self-reflection, where the student accounts for his or her prior knowledge for carrying out the assignment and planning for how possible remaining courses that are required for higher education qualification should be completed . The individual plan for the degree project should be approved by the examiner.
The student should carry out a specialised pilot study including discussion of method choice and theoretical background with a literature study, that is reported as part of a draft to a preliminary version of the written degree project report.
The student should carry out an individual independent project, where knowledge and methods from the education are applied.
The student should plan and carry out oral presentation and defence of his or her degree project.
The student should carry out an oral and written review of another degree project on the same level.
The student should write and present a written degree project report, where the student clearly accounts for and discusses his or her conclusions in the degree project and the knowledge and the arguments that underlie them.
The student should carry out a self evaluation of the degree project according to the model of "Assessment of the quality of degree project for Degree of Master of Science in Engineering and Degree of Master of Science".
 With relevance we mean relevance in relation to the education, current research and development in relation to the specialisation that the student is studying and relevance for stakeholders and society.
 A draft of this part can preferably be handed in together with the initial project proposition, before the student is admitted to the degree project course. Remaining courses within the education should be planned be completed latest in connection with conclusion of the degree project.
Intended learning outcomes *
The aim of the degree project (1) is for the student to apply and deepen knowledge, understanding, abilities and approach within the context of the education. The degree project should be carried out at the end of the education and provide a specialised study and synthesis of earlier acquired knowledge. In the degree project is emphasised both the technical/scientific content and method knowledge.
After completed degree project, the student should show such proficiency that is required to participate in research and development work or to work independently in other qualified activities according to the national qualitative targets for the Degree of Master of Science in the Higher Education Ordinance. These include:
- considerably advanced knowledge within the main field of study/the specialisation for the education, including advanced insight into current research and development work,
- specialised methodological knowledge within the main field of study/the specialisation for the education,
- ability to participate in research and development work and so contribute to the formation of knowledge
- ability to critically and independently and creatively identify, formulate, analyse, assess and deal with complex phenomena, issues and situations even with limited information,
- ability to plan and with adequate methods undertake advanced tasks within predetermined time frames as well as the ability to evaluate this work
- ability to critically and systematically integrate knowledge and ability to identify the need of additional knowledge
- ability to in English in speech and writing clearly report and discuss his or her conclusions and the knowledge and arguments on which they are based
- ability to within the frames of the degree project identify the role of the scholarship and the engineer in the society
- ability to within the frame of the specific degree project be able to identify which issues that need to be answered in order to observe relevant dimensions of sustainable development, and
- ability to within the frames of the degree project assess and show awareness of ethical aspects on research and development work with respect to methods, working method and results of the degree project.
 Also designated independent project