Course contents *
Laboratory work in printing technology and visits to graphic arts companies within the following areas:
Paper manufacturing. Paper production mechanical and optical properties, printability and runnability.
Printing inks. Composition, drying principles and analyze methods.
The development of printing presses. Different printing methods such as letter press, lithographic offset, gravure, screen non impact printing methods. Subsections: the different parts of the printing press and paper transport in the press.
Print quality, measurement and control of the printing process.
Intended learning outcomes *
After completing the course the students are supposed to be able to:
• describe the main printing methods and their sub stages such as paper transport and ink transfer
• describe the main post press operations; cutting, folding and binding
• describe the principle for environmental protection marking of printed products with respect to printing method and paper grade
• describe rules and guidelines for environmental protection
• explain the stages of paper production
• predict optical and mechanical properties of printed products
• relate printability and runnability to paper, ink and printing press
• planning graphic arts production control systems
• produce a four-colour print in sheet-fed offset
• explain the principle for measuring print quality in the form of print density, dot gain, optimal ink level, NCI, using a densitometer and perform the measurements
• describe quality control methods in the graphic arts production work flow
• independently compile information and present it to an audience
• work and cooperate in project groups and within given time limits write a report and present
so that the students can:
• produce technically well structured and typographically appealing documents,
• make suitable choices for the production of printed products with respect to the number of copies, print quality and delivery time
• choose relevant print method and materials for graphic arts production
• analyze construction and control systems for graphic arts production systems.