FHL3004 Environmental Physiology II, Human Experiments Using Centrifuge and Pressure Chambers 7.5 credits
Content and learning outcomes
- Ethical considerations in connection with human experimentation in extreme environments.
- Medical requirements/health check-ups necessary for individuals who shall participate as experimental subjects/assistants in experiments in extreme environments
- Biophysical measuring techniques and practical problems with data collection during experiments in centrifuges, pressure chambers, and immersion facilities.
Intended learning outcomes
The student shall, after having completed the course, have knowledge and understanding of:
- Writing a mock application to research ethics committee regarding experiments in either human centrifuge or pressure chamber.
- To run an experiment in centrifuge, hyperbaric pressure chamber, and altitude chamber in accordance with valid check lists and current routines
- To handle mock accidents in human centrifuge, hyperbaric chamber, and altitude chamber
- To handle the special measuring situations that occurs with human experiments in centrifuges, hyperbaric chambers, and altitude chambers, and during immersions
The course consists of lectures, seminars, demonstrations and practical exercises, during which the student will learn:
- How to prepare human experiments in the centrifuge, pressure and climatic chambers and in the immersion tank, as regards ethical considerations, medical risks vis-a-vis health requirments for participants.
- How to conduct experiments in the afore mentioned research facilities, particularly concerning safety aspects and medical surveillance of participants.
- How to handle mock accidents in the aforementioned research facilities.
Literature and preparations
Graduate student has completed the course "Environmental Physiology I, basic theoretical course".
Promemorier rörande risker och hälsokrav vid centrifug- och tryckkammarexponeringar / memorandums concerning risks and health requirments during exposures in centrifuge and pressure chambers.
Exempel på forskningsetikansökningar / examples of ethics applications
Checklistor för centrifug, undertryckskammare och övertryckskammare / check lists for the centrifuge, hypo-and hyperbaric chambers.
Nödchecklistor för ovannämnda anläggningar/ emergency check lists for the aforementioned facilities
Manualer för mät- och övervakningsutrustning / manuals
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- SEM1 - Seminars, 2.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- XUPP - Degree project, 4.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web FHL3004