Content and learning outcomes
Fundamentals of electromagnetism and its numerical analysis. Transport phenomena and their numerical analysis. Discretization in one and two dimensions. The semiconductor equations. Numerical solution of partial differential equations using the finite element method and the finite volume method. Applications to devices: p-n junction diodes, MOSFETs, power semiconductor devices. Mixed-mode simulations. Kinetic transport models and Monte Carlo simulation.
Intended learning outcomes
This course gives an in-depth knowledge in simulation of device physics for advanced semiconductor devices for all application areas. The implementation of the semiconducor equations and the solution using the finite element method and the finite volume method is explained.
After the course, the student should be able to
- analyse boundary conditions for differential equations
- analyse discretization in one and two dimensions for differential equations
- analyse semiconductor device operation
- use computer tools to solve simple problems with differential equations
- use computer tools to solve partial differential equations
- use computer tools to simulate semiconductor devices
With analyse is meant to derive relations and calculate from equations given in the textbook.
Literature and preparations
A basic course in semiconductor devices or semiconductor physics and a course in electromagnetic field theory.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- EXA1 - Examination, 7.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Homework (Simulation Labs) and an individual Project.
Other requirements for final grade
The project should be individual and connected to your research.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web FIH3610