Course contents *
The course participants will receive detailed instructions towards using the highly sophisticated audio visual equipment/communication in the two “Energy Learning Theatres” at EGI.
Seminars will be given to address the issues in teaching and in supervising project work students. Training will be provided to build up highly qualified course assistants (and future teachers). Experienced lecturers and testimonials from course assistants will show and discuss the qualities and challenges present in course assistance.
One part of the course will be the establishment of an e-teaching material in the student’s research area. The student should adapt the educational material into an e-learning chapter with the use of modern educational computerized multi-media tools (to be selected together with the examiner) and preferably with a high degree of interactivity. Technical, pedagogical and multi-media aspects and skills shall be considered. During the development of the educational material, students will evaluate the learning material, and give suggestions for modifications.
The topic of study is selected together with the examiner. It should consist of one or two chapter(s) (corresponding to a 2-3 hours lecture or more) of the undergraduate curriculum given at a university within the EXPLORE Energy platform. The student should study the existing material in detail, and read related materials.
The course will treat the general philosophy regarding interactive and computerized education. Individual readings and summary reports are part of the course. As part of the discussions, an evaluation will be presented regarding what students so far have considered to be the pros and cons of the present interactive learning material developed by different teachers at EGI, including remote lab exercises, pod-casts of lectures, Explore Energy and E-learning platforms, etc.
Intended learning outcomes *
The overall goal of the course is to make graduate students act as an educational entrepreneur in a global context, with the aim to bring education outside the traditional approach. The course participants will gain experience by actively joining course seminars, by performing assigned individual readings followed by group discussions, and by supervising students/planning & assisting a course.
After the end of this course, the participants will be able to:
- Implement pedagogical approach within a course in line with student centered learning approach and constructive alignment concept
- Develop interactive learning material and on-line exam/exercise suitable for e-learning
- Give lecture/ presentation/ seminar with modern audio-visual interactive tools, such as video showing, live software demonstration, online video conferencing, use of multimedia among others in line with integrating technologies in education and one of the following
- Acquire methods in supervising BSc/MSc thesis students to be independent researcher/scientist, or
- Act as course assistant by applying new thinking into the respective courses