Products and technical system usually consists of standard components. This course applies the mechanics and solid mechanics to analyze these machine components and construct simple mechanical systems. The course provides a basis for designing and selecting the appropriate components in different situations.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
The course covers some common machine elements and design aspects.
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the courses the students will
- Understand function and be able to dimension some common machine elements.
- Be able to choose the appropriate standard components and common construction materials.
- Be able to analyze machine components from a system perspective.
- Be able to collaborate on technical problem solving in an engineering way.
Literature and preparations
SG1130, Mechanics I; SG1140 Mechanics II; SE1020 eller SE1010, Solid Mechancis; Basic Knowledge i CAD equalivent to MJ1103 Introduction to Mechanical Engineering/MF1001 Mechanical Engineering, introductory course
Announced when the course start
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- INL2 - Hand in Tasks, 2.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN2 - Written examination, 4.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web MF1044
Main field of study
MF1045 Product realization - Engineering Design where acquired knowledge from MF1044 Machine Components is applied in a product development project.