MJ1450 Management and Leadership in Systems Engineering 6.0 credits
Chefskurs i systemteknik tillämpat inom energiområdet
Education cycleFirst cycle
Main field of studyTechnology
Grading scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course the student should be able to:
- With support from the concepts of system technology, describe the design and interaction between different parts within the system
- Describe the processes within systems engineering according to the ISO standard 152 88 and explain their objectives and context
- Describe the leadership in a processoriented work environment
- Explain the role of the director in systemwork
- Distinguish between different kinds of leadership and conclude which type of leadership that is applicable to different phases in the materialprocess
- Desribe the roles of projectleader, project owner and the director's role as quality manager
- Describe the quality concept and the tools used for quality leadership
- Combine knowledge in systems engineering with his/her technical competence from earlier education and experiences
- Assess the capacity of a system to meet the requirements within applications where the students have necessary technical competence (earlier education and experience)
- Explain and motivate (orally) central questions and standpoints within systems engineering and leadership
- Apply the principles of good leadership within the course
Course main content
The course consists of 65 h of lectures, seminars, refletionhours and groupassignments. Some of these activities require that parts of the course literature have been prepared. The course starts with a block of lectures about system engineering and thereafter specialists and leaders from industry and authorities are invited as guest lectures to share their respective experiences. Project and quality leadership are included in the form of lectures, group work and discussions. It is expected that the student is well prepared for each groupsession.
At least 120 hp at technical university or corresponding education.
The student does not need to study within the energy or environment field but should have experience from system studies within any technology area.
(1)”Systems Engineering, coping with complexity”, Stevens, Brook, Jackson, Arnold, Pearson Education, ISBN 0-13-095085-8
(2)”Den femte disciplinen”, Peter M Senge
(3)”Projektledningsmetodik” T. Jansson, L. Ljung, Studentlitteratur, ISBN 91-44-03359-1
(4)”Kvalitetsstyrning med totalkvalitet”, L. Sandholm, Studentlitteratur
- TEN1 - Examination, 4.5, grading scale: P, F
- ÖVN1 - Exercises, 1.5, grading scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
Assignments (1.5 hp) grading P/F
Exam (4.5 hp) grading A-F
Torsten Fransson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Torsten Fransson <email@example.com>
Language of instruction: Swedish only
Course syllabus valid from: Spring 2009.
Examination information valid from: Autumn 2007.