This course will give hands on experience on bottom-up, solution based, synthesis techniques of nanomaterials and use of standard analytical tools for materials’ property evaluation.
After a successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
· Perform an extensive literature survey on the synthesis topic/material of choice.
· Prepare a detailed report on the topic of synthesis/material.
· Design their synthesis experiments for the targeted material of choice.
· Explain the underlying chemical and physical principles of the selected/designed synthesis scheme.
· Perform chemical stoichiometric calculation for the preparation of solutions.
· Apply chemistry lab practices properly
· Prepare a set-up for planned synthesis experiment.
· Perform XRD analysis on the fabricated nanopowder.
· Interpret XRD results and relate it to homogeneity of material.
· Perform microstructure analysis on the fabricated nanopowder.
· Perform thermal analysis on the fabricated nanopowder.
· Interpret TGA thermogram, indicating corresponding physical changes.
· Interpret DSC thermogram, indicating corresponding physical/chemical changes.
· Perform UV-Vis measurements on the fabricated nanopowder (whenever relevant to the project).
· Perform FTIR analysis on the fabricated nanopowder.
· Interpret analysis results from an FT-IR spectrum.