Skip to main content

Important preparations for degree project abroad

There may be a lot to think about before you do a degree project abroad, but if you begin your preparations as soon as possible, everything becomes easier.


You generally have to apply for a visa if you are doing a degree project in a country outside Europe. Contact the country's embassy in Sweden for more information. For students who need visa it is vital to check the period of validity of passports. Usually a passport has to be valid for at least six months after the planned date of return to Sweden in order to obtain a visa.

Remember that it can take time to obtain a student visa, for certain countries more than one month. If you intend to travel round in the country before your studies begin, or perhaps attend a language course, it is essential that you start well in advance of your leaving date.

If you are travelling to an EU country you need to get information on how to register your right of residence. The partner university usually inform you about this when you arrive.


Learn more about your financial opportunities on Funding for degree project abroad

Insurance and healthcare

All KTH students who carry out exchange studies through KTH are automatically covered by the insurance named Student UT. Students who receive the Erasmus scholarships for degree projects are also covered by the insurance but must have a written agreement with the recipient. Check with your international coordinator. As proof of insurance, you get a Medical Insurance Card (MIC) prior to departure from your international coordinator. In the event of injury/accident/loss, you should fill a claim form signed by both you and KTH. More information and full terms and conditions available on Kammarkollegiet website .

Healthcare in the EU / EEA

If you are going to study in another EU or EEA country you are entitled to medical benefits under the same conditions as the country's inhabitants. For this to work you must have with you the EHIC, "European card". European card is free of charge and can be ordered via the Social Insurance Agency . Please note that insurance for exchange students, Student UT, does not replace medical expenses that could have been avoided with the help of the European card.

Healthcare outside the EU / EEA

Your Medical Insurance Card (MIC) shows that you can be offered medical care. The outlays you do, you can get compensation from Kammarkollegiet, provided that your claim is approved. Study the conditions of the insurance prior to departure on Kammarkollegiet website .


Check in time if you need to complete your vaccination protection. For stays within the EU this is generally not needed. If you are traveling outside the EU, you should always consult a doctor regarding vaccination needs. You can get vaccinated at health center or on special vaccination centers. Learn more about infectious diseases and vaccinations on the Public Health Agency website .

Bring with you

  • European health insurance card
  • Insurance certificate - Medical Insurance Card if you are an exchange student and insured via the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet)
  • Identity card and passport

The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs travel recommendations

The more information about the country and the university you will study at you have before your departure, the better! The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs provides information about the security situation, climate, visa and health risks in the country you are staying in.