To pass the course, the following is required:
- Submission of hacking logs each week until completing the project.
- Valid submission of all flags in the project assignment.
- A minimum of 10% of maximum flag points calculated as detailed below.
- Valid submission of the quiz on Cyber Law.
- Oral exam (unless explicitly exempted).
- Abiding by the rules.
The final grade in the course will mainly depend on:
- The aggregated value of captured flags. Each flag has a maximum value of 10 points, which decreases with the number of consumed hints.
- Your operational security.
- A successfully completed bug bounty bonus assignment is worth 20 points.
- An oral exam.
If hacking logs and other factors are satisfactory, we aim to grade as follows:
A: 90-100% of maximum required points
B: 70-90% of maximum required points
C: 50-70% of maximum required points
D: 30-50% of maximum required points
E: 10-30% of maximum required points
Maximum required points is computed as 10 x (number of flags). With 16 flags, the maximum required points is therefore 160. (The number of flags varies from year to year.) Because the bug bounty assignment is a bonus task, it can be used to boost your points above the maximum required points.
Teachers may request that the project assignment is presented in person. This examination consists of an individual interview where teachers will be asking the student to explain and demonstrate parts of their accomplishments during the course. The oral exam is mainly aimed at determining that the student's physical self corresponds to her digital one, so we expect the ability to explain how various flags were captured, and why the employed methods were selected. If requested by teachers, the oral exam is mandatory. The results of the oral exam can affect both examination and grading. You are allowed to use your own notes during the oral exam.
Any students that do not pass the course have to re-take the course in the next iteration. It is not possible to increase the grade of the course after the course has been completed.