Course development and history
Select the semester and course offering above to get information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
The course should give the student basic knowledge in structural engineering and analysis of designs such as buildings and bridges.
Calculation of section forces as normal force, shear force and bending moment will be treated for simple structures during static strain.
Deflection of simple beams and beam systems are treated through the equation of the elastic deflection curve.
The theory of elasticity and Hooke's law are introduced as well as calculation of normal and shear stresses in beams subjected to bending.
The force method is introduced for calculation of section forces in simple statically indeterminate structures.
Analysis of beams with circular cross-sections subjected to torsion will be treated.
Buckling of columns and beams in the linear elastic region is introduced..
The course intends to give basic knowledge in structural mechanics and facilitate continued studies in structural engineering.
- After the course, the students should be able to:
- Calculate section forces in simple trusses, beams and frames.
- Calculate deflection for beams subjected to bending.
- Explain the relationship between internal section forces and stresses in beams subjected to bending.
- Using the superposition principle to analyse a structure exposed to a combination of loads.
- Using qualitative analysis to estimate the directions of support reactions, the distribution of bending moment, and the shape of the deflection.
- Calculating the critical load for beams with simple boundary conditions.
No information inserted
SG1117 Engineering mechanics
or equivalent cours
SF1676 Differential Equations with Applications or equivalent course
A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability. The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.
ABE/Civil and Architectural Engineering
AF1005Structural Engineering, Basic Course
Anders Ansell email@example.com