CB201V Biocatalysis for Industrial Professionals 4.0 credits
This is an online course. You watch prerecorded video lectures on your own and we meet online in 10 scheduled workshops. The course provides knowledge and skills in the area of industrial biocatalysis with a focus on replacing chemical synthesis with enzymatic catalysis to achieve more sustainable processes for synthesis of chemical products.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
The course is given online and remotely and provides an overview of the research area Biocatalysis, with special emphasis on the application of enzymes for environmentally sustainable production of chemical products. The course comprises approximately 105 full-time study hours, corresponding to 4,0 ECTS credits.
Relevant enzymes and their reaction mechanisms are discussed. Furthermore, central experimental techniques for the use of enzymes in organic solvents are discussed, as well as methods for optimizing stereochemical yields with industrial processes as examples.
Furthermore, the course provides knowledge about general and current techniques for design and modification of enzymes, for example directed evolution, for application in biocatalysis. The student carries out a project where a theoretical experiment is designed which includes, among other things, to select and justify the choice of methods for the experimental execution and the analysis of the results.
Intended learning outcomes
After completion of the course the student shall be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and analytical skills in the field of biocatalysis
- demonstrate ability to explain and analyze concepts in biocatalysis based on relevant research literature
- formulate and discuss in writing how biocatalysis can be applied in industry to create more environmentally sustainable processes and, be able to reflect on sustainable societal development
Literature and preparations
Courses in organic chemistry and biochemistry at the first cycle, or equivalent
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- INL1 - Hand in assignments, 1.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- PRO1 - Project, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web CB201V