CB2442 Bioinformatics 7.5 credits
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
Theory and methods for: pairwise alignment of DNA/RNA and protein sequences; multiple sequence alignment; analysis of DNA/RNA and protein sequence motivs; phylogenetic analysis; gene expression analysis. Public data bases and tools. Programming basic bioinformatic algorithms.
Intended learning outcomes
After passing the course the student should be able to:
- explain basic bioinformatic methods
- give an account of applications and limitations of bioinformatic methods
- use relevant methods to analyze bioinformatic problems
- interpret the results of bioinformatic analyzes
- program basic bioinformatic algorithms
Literature and preparations
Minst 150 högskolepoäng från årskurs 1, 2 och 3 varav minst 100 högskolepoäng från årskurs 1 och 2 samt kandidatexamensarbete måste vara avklarade. I de 150 poängen skall ingå avklarade kurser motsvarande minst 20 hp matematik, numeriska metoder, data, varav minst 5 hp utgörs av numeriska metoder och data, samt minst 15 hp totalt inom bioteknik, biokemi, och/eller molekylärbiologi
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- LAB1 - Computer exercises, 2.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Written exam, 5.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web CB2442