Course contents *
The course is conducted in project groups of 5-8 students. After an introduction to project management each group will be given a description of a power system, as well as a number of problems that need to be solved for this system. Course implementation is done by working with these problems.
To carry out the project, knowledge from earlier courses in electric power systems given in the master programme will be needed, but also other course from the programme are useful. Since each project requires knowledge from several fields a first task will be to identify the specific knowledge needs within each project group. The collection of necessary knowledge is achieved through direct participation in earlier courses, but it is in many cases necessary to independently find and assimiliate this knowledge. A second task is to distribute the group work to acquire the necessary knowledge and to to make a schedule for implementing the project.
Intended learning outcomes *
The objective of this course is that the participants in the form of a project should be able to design a power system including generation, transmission and distribution.
After the course, participants will be able to
• explain the design procedure for a power system and apply parts of the procedure to design a system for a specific application,
• describe the concepts of different modelling tools and apply adequate tools to predict the performance of the designed system,
• analyse obtained results using knowledge about the various approximations the simulation models are based on,
• organise a project for implementation of a complex task,
• plan the work of a project group considering the boundaries between the project members' functions and tasks,
• schedule the work so that the work can be performed within a set time frame and such that a uniform and equitable division of labor between project members can be achieved,
• write status reports of a project at predetermined times,
• write a project report, where apart from the background, methods, implementation, results obtained and conclusions are included,
• evaluate the quality of labor of an executed project,
• in oral form present a project for clients and the public.