EJ2220 Design of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines 6.0 credits
Konstruktion av permanentmagnetiserade synkronmaskiner
Education cycleSecond cycle
Main field of studyElectrical Engineering
Grading scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
The aim of the course is to understand how to make an electromagnetic and thermal design of permanent magnet synchronous machines from any given set of specifications. The knowledge is applied by designing a machine for an industrial application.
After the course, the student should be able to:
- list the different existing topologies of permanent magnet machines
- describe and compare distributed and concentrated windings
- explain the principle of field-weakening for permanent magnet synchronous motors
- choose the appropriate permanent magnet materials for a given construction with regard to functionality, operating conditions, economical and environmental factors
- explain and compare the properties of iron laminations and soft magnetic composites in relation to their use in electrical machines
- enumerate the different loss components in a machine and relate them to different existing models
- develop a simple analytical model of the thermal behaviour of a machine taking into account the relevant losses for the application
- explain all the tasks in the design procedure and apply them to a surface mounted permanent magnet motor with distributed windings with simplified analytical models
- explain discrepancies between results from different analytical methods through knowledge about the various approximations they are based on
- describe the concepts of finite element software tools and apply them in the analysis of permanent magnet synchronous machines
- reflect on the use of analytical models and FEM for optimization
- report and present the results of the design project you have conducted for a chosen application
- do a critical evaluation of the report and presentation of the specific studies conducted by the other students
Course main content
Synchronous electrical machines, permanent magnets, iron lamination, soft magnetic composite, models for losses, thermal modelling, field-weakening, windings, design procedure.
EJ2200 Electrical machines and drives
Text book Design of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines, KTH, 2007.
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 1.5, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 3.0, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ÖVN1 - Project, 1.5, grading scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
One oral examination (TEN1; 3cr), 5 project reports (ÖVN1, 1.5cr), two laboratory exercises including preparations (LAB1; 1.5cr).
EECS/Electrical Energy Engineering
EJ2210 Analysis of Electrical Machines, EJ2400 Electric Traction.
Course syllabus valid from: Autumn 2007.
Examination information valid from: Spring 2019.