The course provides an overview of the structure of communication networks with the major functions, design principles and methods for system development as well as an overview of system architecture, communication technologies and notable standardized systems.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
The course spans over the functions in a communication system from transmission of data over a link to network services and applications and system architecture that organizes the functions in protocols. The course intends to give understanding and application of design principles of software engineering and overview of underlying system principles, communication technologies and considerable standardized systems.
The parts of the course are:
- Data communication and data links
- Networks with many links
- Transport and applications
- System architecture
Intended learning outcomes
After passing the course, the student should be able to
- explain principles and parts of system architectures for networks and describe system functions in the architecture that is necessary for functioning network summarise and explain how networks in whole function
- explain, calculate and discuss data communication and data links for both point-to-point and shared links describe necessary functions for links with correct descriptions and to carry out calculations of capacity, error handling and throughput
- explain network structures and principles of addressing and routing with correct terminology and distinguish and discuss networks on data link network layer carry out routing calculations and describe protocols for packet switching
- explain and illustrate the concepts of application and service and describe the function of given systems and user applications explain the functions in transport protocol for reliable transfer rightly descriptions and apply them on selected problems
in order to obtain an overview of the function of communication networks and a good basis for continued studies of the subject.
Literature and preparations
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- KON1 - Partial exam, 4.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- PRO1 - Project assignment, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web EP111U