Course contents *
· Optical microscopy: resolution, magnification principles, contrast, the basic two-stage microscope, lenses for different types of microscopy, polarized microscopy, conoscopy and diffraction experiments using the Bertrand lens, interference contact microscopy.
· Scanning electron microscopy, basic principles: resolution, contrast; different types of SEM
· Transmission electron microscopy, basic principles: resolution, contrast: different types of TEM. Electron diffraction
· Methods to prepare samples for optical microscopy.
· Methods to prepare samples for electron microscopy: fracture surfaces, staining, etching, beam contrasting, microtoming, shadowing
Practical work (exercise) using optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy.