FLF3008 Interview as Qualitative Research Method 4.5 credits
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
The purpose of the course is to give the student an overview of different types of qualitative research interviews as a data collection method.
Intended learning outcomes
After passing the course, the doctoral student will be able to:
- Reflect on and discuss different types of research interviews and their possibilities and limitations in relation to different research questions.
- Based on research questions, plan and conduct qualitative research interviews.
- Reflect on and discuss ethical aspects of interview research.
- Reflect on and discuss quality aspects of interview research.
During the course, different types of qualitative research interviews, methodological and ethical questions about interview research, practical aspects regarding planning and conducting research interviews are discussed. The course will also cover transcription and analysis of interview data as well as quality aspects of interview research. The course contains both literature studies, seminars and practical exercises.
Literature and preparations
Basic authorization to participate is given to those who have been admitted to doctoral education at a Swedish university or equivalent education abroad.
Literature will be announced at least two weeks before the start of the course.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- SEM1 - Seminar, 4.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
The examination consists of a seminar where the PhD student discusses and reflects on interview research.
Other requirements for final grade
In order to obtain a final grade, in addition to an approved examination seminar, active participation in the course's other seminars is also required.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web FLF3008