This educational course is part of the combined educational program Technology and Economics and is read during the first term before the student has started the second term in the chosen field of branch technology.
Content and learning outcomes
The course provides knowledge about how business calculation is built up and is used in started new companies as well as in older established companies, where the infrastructure often is partly given.
Practical work with product and investment calculations in the short-run as well as in the long run is carried out with cases from different companies in different branches.
Updated qualitative and quantitative business calculation methods, that are used in technology oriented companies, are analyzed, compared, and evaluated.
The process of creating and developing a business concept and implement it to an adequate market is studied. Different motives and impelling forces behind new companies are analyzed.
Intended learning outcomes
After the student has completed the course he/she manages:
- To arrange and apply calculation methods based on direct as well as on indirect costs, to execute prime cost calculations, and utilize calculation models based on direct variable costs as well as on marginal costing.
- To evaluate in which situation calculating prime costs or marginal (direct) costing, respectively, is the preferable method.
- To organize and apply the capitalized value method, the yield method, and the fixed annual installment method.
- To analyze and explain at which type of long-term investments a combination of methods will bring about the most useful basis for decision-making, to report results of completed calculations with sensitivity estimates as well as with recommendations.
- To find information about legal regulations and prescriptions with regard to small-scale business on the basis of an acquired overview of sources of relevant information.
- To formulate a business plan, containing business concept, calculations, and relevant estimates.
Literature and preparations
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- TEN1 - Examination, 4.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ÖVN2 - Exercises, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Passed examination (TEN1; 4,5 ECTS credits)
Exercises (ÖVN2; 3,0 ECTS credits)
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web HH1801