HS105X Degree Project in Structural Engineering, First Cycle 15.0 credits
Examensarbete inom konstruktionsteknik, grundnivå
Education cycleFirst cycle
Main field of studyBuilt Environment
Grading scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
This course aims to teach students to independently apply engineering knowledge acquired during their education.
Upon completion of the course, students shall:
- Be able to apply the knowledge and skills acquired during their education on real problems
- Be able to independently analyze and approach a major problem in the area of technology
- Demonstrate an ability to reflect on, evaluate, and critically review their own and others results
- Be able to document and present their work for a specific target group, with high requirements on structure, formality, and language
- Be able to write a summary report in English using correct terminology for the subject
- Demonstrate the ability to identify their need of additional knowledge and to continuously develop their skills
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate the concept sustainable development into their degree project
Course main content
The work will contain problems that provide a deeper or broader knowledge of the technical area. The work is generally performed at a worksite external to KTH.
The degree project is either performed individually or together with another student. In the latter case, the examiner will ensure that each student’s work meets the requirements for the individual degree project.
The degree project is carried out with the support of an academic supervisor as well as a supervisor with ties to the industry.
The degree project must be partially presented after half the study period and finally presented, orally and in writing, in Swedish - or English once the examiner has approved it. To complete the course, opposition of another student's thesis and public defence of the student's own thesis is required.
For more information, see the directives for degree projects at ABE/Constructional Engineering and Design.
A minimum of 120 credits in the programme, and passes in compulsory courses for the chosen specialisation and the advanced courses necessary for the project.
Students are expected to individually locate and study reference material related to the given problem area. Course reading materials may also be suggested by the examiner or supervisor.
- XUP3 - Examination Question, 15.0, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
The degree project will be assessed in terms of:
- engineering and academic contents
To receive a passing grade, the performance may not receive a failing grade on any of the three grounds for assessment. The grade constitutes an overall assessment and is decided by the examiner.
Examination is conditional on participation in lectures/seminars on scientific theory and method.
Examination requires a final report with a passing grade that has been brought up during a seminar, as well as participation as an opponent at a public defence. The full examination work will be reported as one unit of 15.0 credits. The title of the examination work in Swedish and English will be recorded in the final grade.
Requirements for final grade
For the degree project to receive a passing grade, a partial presentation must have been carried out. Weekly time reports, in writing, must have been submitted. The degree project must have been checked for plagiarism, and once it has been given a passing grade after a seminar, the final report must be submitted in accordance with the instructions from the department.
A grade will be awarded on the scale A-F. Passing grades are A-E, with A being the highest.
ABE/Constructional Engineering and Design
Johan Silfwerbrand <email@example.com>
Course syllabus valid from: Spring 2008.
Examination information valid from: Spring 2013.