Course contents *
Before the degree project course starts, the student shall identify an appropriate degree project task and formulate a project proposal that can be presented to the examiner for approval. The assignment must be chosen, so that it implies a natural progression of the knowledge and skills that have been acquired within the education.
The student must write an individual plan for the degree project in which the problem description/assignment and the preconditions for the implementation of the work are specified. The individual plan for the degree project should contain a background including a problem description and scientific aspects/question formulations, purpose(s), goals, delimitations, the relevance of the project, methods and time schedule for the implementation of the degree project. The individual plan shall also contain a brief self-reflection where the student accounts for his knowledge to carry out the assignment and the planning for how potential remaining courses, that are required for higher education qualification, shall be completed. The individual plan for the degree project, shall be approved by the examiner.
The student carries out an in-depth pre-study including discussions of method choice and theoretical background with a literature study that is reported as a part of a draft to a preliminary version of the written degree project report.
The student carries out an individual independent project, where knowledge and methods from the education are applied.
The student plans and carries out oral presentation and defence of his or her degree project.
The student carries out an oral and written review of another degree project on the same level.
The student writes and presents a written degree project report, where the student clearly presents and discusses own conclusions in the degree project and the knowledge and the arguments that support them.
The student carries out a self-assessment of the degree project according to the template for "Assessment of quality of degree project for Degree of Master of Science in Engineering and Degree of Bachelor of Science". The self-assessment is enclosed as appendix in the degree project report.
Intended learning outcomes *
The purpose of the degree project is that the student shall apply and deepen knowledge, understanding, abilities, and approaches within the contexts of the education. The degree project should be carried out at the end of the education and imply a specialised study and synthesis of earlier acquired knowledge. In the degree project, both the technical/scientific content and method knowledge are emphasised.
After completing the degree project, the student shall demonstrate the knowledge and skills required that is required to work independently within the field of the education according to KTH's local goals for Bachelor's degree based on the outcomes in Higher Education Ordinance. These include:
- show knowledge and understanding within the main area of study, including knowledge of the disciplinary foundation of the field, knowledge of applicable methods in the area, specialisation within some part of the field and orientation about current research and development
- demonstrate the ability to search, collect, evaluate and interpret relevant information critically in a problem
- demonstrate the ability independently to identify, formulate and solve problems and to analyse and evaluate different technical solutions
- demonstrate the ability to integrate and use knowledge
- demonstrate the ability to plan and carry out assignments within given framework
- demonstrate the ability to discuss phenomena, issues and situations critically and model developments based on relevant information
- demonstrate the ability to describe and develop simple proposals for products, processes and systems considering the preconditions and need of people and the aims of the society for economic, social and ecological sustainable development
- demonstrate the ability to in cooperation plan, carry out and present given assignments
- demonstrate the ability to in Swedish or in English, orally and in writing Account for and discuss information, problem and solutions in dialogue with different groups
- demonstrate the ability to (within the main field of study for the education) make assessments considering relevant scientific, social and ethical aspects
- demonstrate an understanding of the role of the knowledge and the technology in the society and the people's responsibility of how these are used
- demonstrate the ability to identify own needs of additional knowledge and to develop own skills.