Course contents *
The course deals with the inter-domain routing problem, giving a deeper understanding of the routing between autonomous systems in the Internet.
To illustrate important principles and to get hands-on experience the course contains a set of lab assignments in addition to theoretical parts, like lectures.
The focus of the course is design, implementation and operations of inter-domain routing, with much weight on the ability to convert abstract designs into practical network implementations. The course will use the external gateway protocol BGP to solve different routing problems.
Intended learning outcomes *
This course deals with general concepts and design alternatives for
inter-domain routing, i.e., routing between autonomous systems in
the Internet. Students will get a deep understanding of the design,
condfiguration, and operation of inter-domain routing in general.
In particular, students will get hands-on experience in using the
Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).
This means that, after the course, students will be able to:
* describe the functionality, concepts, and design principles of inter-domain routing solutions. This includes e.g., internal vs external routing, autonomous systems, and the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).
* differ between routing inside and between autonomous systems, and explain how to control routing inside autonomous systems as well as how to control large-scale autonomous systems.
* critically evaluate various BGP routing designs using technical considerations like scalability, robustness, and manageability as a basis for comparison.
* based on principles of inter-domain routing and studies of BGP compare and explain advantages and disadvantages of different routing architectures and suggest improvements.
* design, configure, and operate BGP routing in networks with multiple autonomous systems, including a mix of both provider and customer networks. This includes the configuration and maintenance of various routing policies, e.g., to control inbound and outbound traffic.