LT1047 Space and sustainable development 3.0 credits
Further education course online for teachers or teacher students in STEM subjects. The course contains three areas: 1. Lectures on space and sustainability in STEM subjects 2. Exercises and seminars on how to teach for sustainable development 3. A space-related project that you choose based on subject and year that aims at practical teaching with your student group
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
Space related science and technology that can be used for teaching for sustainable development, for example satellite data, earth observations, environmental technology. Technology and natural sciences that can be used in fields such as sustainable space cities or space stations; cultivation techniques, purification techniques and materials science. Didactic aspects for interdisciplinary teaching in space and sustainability, especially how one brings up society issues and one let pupils take position based on complex situations.
Intended learning outcomes
The course intends to develop the participants' skills in teaching and learning and didactics to teach about space and sustainable development in STEM (Science Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- give an account of basic concepts and phenomena in the field of space and sustainable development
- discuss current society issues where space and sustainable development have large importance and how these can be introduced for pupils
- give an account of and problematise general didactic aspects in STEM subjects
- orientate oneself in current practices and didactic research in basic STEM teaching with space theme
- analyse relevant course syllabi and subject plans to identify items and contents where sustainable development and the space can be used
- plan and evaluate teaching for pupils, with a theme of sustainable development and space, in one or more STEM subjects.
Literature and preparations
Completed teacher education or at least 180 higher education credits in ongoing teacher education.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- INL1 - Assignment, 2.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- SEM1 - Seminars, 1.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web LT1047