The importance of hydropower for the energy supply is increasing in many countries. It is an important contribution to a sustainable energy system and its balancing capacity is getting crucial as more intermittent electricity production like wind and sun power is connected to the grids.
In Sweden hydropower is almost half of the electricity production. Few new hydropower plants are built but many of the old ones, big as well as small, are renovated and upgraded. The situation in Europe is similar to the Swedish but in Africa, Asia and South America many new hydropower plants are built. At the same time the demands from the local environment are increasing.
The course gives a broad introduction to hydropower, its technology, economy and sustainability. Lecturing are well-known specialists in different subject areas from six departments at KTH, and from energy and consultancy companies. Via the course web, more detailed information can be found in a course instruction.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
Main focus is on how the hydrological conditions decide physical and technical design and operation of hydro electric power stations as well as their economic and environmental consequences. The course includes several different subject areas, which are treated more in-depth in other courses that are offered by the departments that cooperate in this course.
The course is divided into four modules:
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: The technical preconditions of the hydro electric power and its solutions
Module 3: Economic aspects on hydroelectric power
Module 4: Sustainability and sustainable solutions connected to hydroelectric power
Intended learning outcomes
After passing the course, the students should be able to:
- Describe the role of the hydroelectric power in the energy system both in Sweden and internationally
- Compare the design of dams, power stations and mechanical, electric and electronic equipment
- Analyse new and innovative technical solutions for design, operation and regulation of hydroelectric power plants
- Formulate and analyse the economic preconditions for and the consequences of hydroelectric power
- Analyse and critically discuss the environmental impact of the hydroelectric power and the judicial preconditions for hydroelectric power
- Choose and analyse a current problem connected to the hydroelectric power industry
See the course syllabus.
Literature and preparations
Achieved the requirements for a Degree of Bachelor of Science
None in addition to the specific prerequisites
Course literature will be announced at the start of the course
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- PRO1 - Project, 1,5 hp, betygsskala: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 6,0 hp, betygsskala: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
There are modules with compulsory attendance in the course.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
See the course syllabus.
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
Decided by the examiner.
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web ME2083
Main field of study
Built Environment, Industrial Management
See the course and program directory.
Vladimir Kutcherov (firstname.lastname@example.org)