MF210X Degree Project in Industrial Design, Second Cycle 30.0 credits
Examensarbete inom industriell design, avancerad nivå
Education cycleSecond cycle
Main field of studyMechanical Engineering
Grading scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course the student shall:
- be able to apply relevant knowledge and skills acquired in industrial design engineering to a given problem,
- be able to independently analyze and discuss complex issues and deal with major challenges at an advanced level in industrial design engineering, within a given framework, and even with limited information available,
- reflect on and critically review its own and others scientific results,
- be able to be able to document and present his/her work, for a given target group, with the highest standards of structural, formal and language treatment,
- be able to identify the need for further knowledge and continuously upgrade his/her skills,
- have a deepened personal skill and knowledge in industrial design engineering,
- be able to select and use the relevant methods and create the engineering models that are required to successfully address the project task,
- be able to plan and perform a technically focuzed project within given time and resource constraints.
Course main content
The studies in the two-years master programme are completed with a degree project on advanced level which results in a written master´s thesis, and a public oral presentation.
In this course, the student is expected to demonstrate his/her ability to independently address a technical design problem in a structured way. The work shall be based on relevant theories and presented in a written report and at a public oral presentation. The thesis process also includes attending the public presentations of two other master´s theses at KTH, and to scrutinize another students thesis.
The thesis must have a significant technical content, but the focus between different thesis may differ condiderably. Examples of thesis with different focus are:
- develop a new concept for a technical system,
- design and evaluate a new component in an existing technological system,
- investigate and develop new engineering design methods and/or tools.
Provided that the thesis meets the above requirements, which is determined by the course coordinator or examiner, and provided that competent supervision is available during the thesis period, the student may choose to perform his/her thesis work, either at an academic department, within an industrial company, or at a consulting firm, in Sweden or in another country.
To meet the program specific degree requirements, the thesis shall be a deepening in Mechanical Enigineering on an advanced level. This means that the thesis will normally be carried out in the field of technology degree in which the student has focuzed on at the advanced level. If the student wants to perform his/her master´s thesis in another area outside the field, this must be approved by the director of undergraduate and master´s studies at the School of industrial engineering and management.
- XUPP - Examination Question, 30.0, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
Claes Tisell (email@example.com), Teo Enlund (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Claes Tisell <email@example.com>
Course syllabus valid from: Autumn 2012.
Examination information valid from: Autumn 2007.