MJ2664 Environmental Management II, Advanced Course 6.0 credits
Miljömanagement II, fördjupningskurs
The course is an advanced course treating the change and development of companies and organisations from an environmental and sustainability point of view.
Education cycleSecond cycle
Main field of study
Grading scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Intended learning outcomes
Project proposals from different companies and organization will be carried out. The course will provide training and skills in the use of different tools used in planning and assessment of environmental and sustainability work of a company or organization. In the framework of the project different issues of corporate environmental management such as planning and implementation of management systems, environmental impact assessments, life cycle analysis, eco-labeling, environmental product declarations and climate change performance may be studied. The evolution of Sustainability Management and the integration of environmental management with other management systems can also be investigated.
This means that after the course the student should be able to:
- Describe, explain and compare the management systems for environment, quality and health and safety.
- Identify, analyze and evaluate sustainability aspects and propose indicators for formulation of targets and action plans for the sustainable development of a company or organization.
- In a group project, give an insight in an aspect of the work with environmental and sustainability management of a company or organization.
- Write project reports according to instructions in the course documentation, present and discuss the reports to the company or organization that has been studied in the project and at seminars for the course participants.
Course main content
Motivations and forces driving the implementation and development environmental and sustainability management systems in companies and organisations. Current management systems aiming at implementing and sustaining a systematic,efficient and sustainable operation of a company. Comparison of current management standards for environment, such as EMAS and ISO14001, quality, ISO 9001:2000, health and safety – OSHAS 18001 for developing integrated management systems for sustainability. The course also addresses the tools for sustainability monitoring and planning, such as Environmental and Quality Auditing and Corporate Sustainability Reporting. The course is mainly a project course implementing theory and methods of environmental and sustainability management on companies and organisations.
A basic course MJ2663 or MJ2662 or 3C1380 or corresponding knowledge in basic environmental management
Whitelaw, Ken: ISO 14001 Environmental Systems Handbook. Second edition, 2004. Elsevier Ltd.
The book is available at the Campus Bookstore and can also be ordered online. See for example Bokus.com.
- PRO1 - Project Work, 4.5, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ÖVN2 - Exercise, 1.5, grading scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
In order to receive a passing grade (E) for the course, the reports and presentations of exercise and project must be approved. The final grade is calculated as a weighted average of the grades of the two parts.
ÖVN1 (exercises); 1,5 HP,
PRO1 (project work); 4,5 HP,
ABE/Sustainability and Environmental Engineering
Cecilia Sundberg <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Course syllabus valid from: Spring 2012.
Examination information valid from: Spring 2009.