Skip to main content
To KTH's start page To KTH's start page

Studying as a parent

It is important that studying with children works. On this page you can read what support is available as a parent or if you are expecting a child. Who should I, as a parent, contact about different matters?

A person with a young child on their shoulders, seen from behind

KTH works to help you combine parenthood with studies. This means, for example, that teaching and examinations are primarily arranged within the framework of office hours, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., to coincide with school and childcare hours.

Approved leave from studies and parental leave

If you have questions about parental leave and study leave, you need to contact your master coordinator. To ensure that you keep your place in your programme after your parental leave, you need to apply for a study leave. Please contact your master coordinator in good time.

Contact information for programme students

Contact information for exchange students

Approved leave and non-completion of studies

Accessibility on KTH's premises

KTH has elevators, resting rooms and microwave ovens that are accessible to all students. There are no room for breast feeding at present.

KTH's facilities are primarily intended for students and staff. Please keep in mind that it should be a safe and calm study/working environment for everyone.

Changing tables are available in the following locations:

KTH Campus

At the KTH Entrance, KTH Library and at the classrooms on Lindstedtsvägen 26, Teknikringen 28 (Brits), Teknikringen 56 and Brinellvägen 23.

KTH Kista

At the library.


At the main entrance: Roslagstullsbacken 21.

Contact the school offering the courses or programme you are studying to find out where more facilities such as resting rooms are available.

Contact your school

Child allowance and housing allowance

Child allowance is financial support that you, as a parent, receive when you care for your child. Normally, you are not entitled to temporary child allowance as a student. It may be possible to get a housing allowance for families with children.

Child allowance and housing allowance (


For questions about childcare, contact your home municipality.

Do you have questions or suggestions for improvement?

You can ask questions or make suggestions by contacting