Welcome to SI2371 Special Relativity. The course will familiarize you with the geometry of space-time, relativistic kinematics, the use of tensor notation in relativity, and electromagnetism in a relativistic setting. Information relevant to the course can be found in the menu to the left.
- Introduction to Special Relativity 2nd ed., Oxford University Press (1991), Rindler.
- A first course in general relativity, Cambridge University Press (1985), Shutz. (Also contains a well written introductory part on special relativity)
- Special Relativity, From Einstein to Strings, Cambridge University Press (2004), Schwarz and Schwarz. (A more formal treatment including more general coordinates and some advanced topics)
- Relativity theory, KTH (2005), Mickelsson, Ohlsson, Snellman. (Course compendium for old course). Note that the compendium does not correspond exactly to this course and that chapters 2 and 3 treat general relativity. However, chapter 1 contains a large number of relevant problems and has a significant overlap with the course.
The old KTH course compendia may be very difficult to obtain, but are well worth the read if you are able to find a copy.
- Mattias Blennow Examinator, Kursansvarig, Lärare