Note that up to date information about the current course round can be found on Canvas.
Welcome to SI2371 Special Relativity. The course will familiarize you with the geometry of space-time, relativistic kinematics, the use of tensor notation in relativity, and electromagnetism in a relativistic setting. Information relevant to the course can be found in the menu to the left.
- Introduction to Special Relativity 2nd ed., Oxford University Press (1991), Rindler.
- A first course in general relativity, Cambridge University Press (1985), Shutz. (Also contains a well written introductory part on special relativity)
- Special Relativity, From Einstein to Strings, Cambridge University Press (2004), Schwarz and Schwarz. (A more formal treatment including more general coordinates and some advanced topics)
- Relativity theory, KTH (2005), Mickelsson, Ohlsson, Snellman. (Course compendium for old course). Note that the compendium does not correspond exactly to this course and that chapters 2 and 3 treat general relativity. However, chapter 1 contains a large number of relevant problems and has a significant overlap with the course.
The old KTH course compendia may be very difficult to obtain, but are well worth the read if you are able to find a copy.
- Jack Lidmar Examinator, Kursansvarig, Lärare