AE1105 Environmental Soil Chemistry 7.5 credits
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
* Dissolved substances in waters: sources, water chemical analysis, variability, charge balance
* Chemical equilibrium: acids and bases, solubility of minerals, complexation
* Soils in Sweden, and soil chemical properties
* Adsorption of substances to the particle surfaces
* Contaminants in soils and waters
* Models for simulation of the behavior of substances in soil and water
Intended learning outcomes
After the course the student should be able to
* Understand chemical processes in soils and waters, and the factors affecting the runoff water quality
* Assess the mobility of various contaminants in soils and waters
* Plan sampling, interpret chemical analyses
Literature and preparations
- AL1302 Geoscience and Geotechnical Engineering
- AL1301 Natural Resources Theory
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project, 2.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 3.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ÖVN1 - Assignments, 2.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Written examination (TEN1, 3.5 credits)
Assignments and laboratory report (OVN1; 2 credits)
Expression of the project (written report + oral presentation) (PRO1; 2 credits)
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web AE1105