The course will give skills in the engineering design of a building, which includes both analysis and drafting.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
Functional requirements for buildings. Architectural design, Foundations and structure. Selection of materials: Technology, environment, durability, aesthetics, economy. Building components and detailing. Sustainability, environmental aspects and energy use. Building information models.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course student should be able to:
- To make a project proposal, for a building, that takes into account the different aspects of sustainability
- Select technical solutions and illustrate those solutions with technical drawings
- Reflect on the choice of technical solutions in terms of the risk of moisture damages
- Describe some of the most relevant factors related to energy use of buildings
- Discuss the influence of different parameters on energy use
- Discuss the influence of different parameters on Global Warming potential and Embodied Energy
- Reflect on different aspects of sustainability related to a building project
Literature and preparations
Documented knowledge in Building Technology, Structural Mechanics, Structural Engineering equivalent to at least 15 ECTS corresponding to the content in courses AF2401 and AF2003.
Eng B/6 according to the Swedish upper secondary school system.
AF2401 Building Technology, Advanced Course or equivalent course.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project Assignment, 5.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ÖVN1 - Exercises, 2.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Project and exercises
Other requirements for final grade
Passed Project Assignment
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web AF2025