Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
Building acoustics, Basic acoustic definitions and fundamental concept. Quantification and analysis of sound. Physiological effects caused by noise. Sound transmission, sound absorption and sound insulation. Sound pulses, flanking transmission. Traffic noise. Sound propagation outdoors. Sound insulation in multi-family housing. Sound propagation in space. Impact noise and airborne sound insulation.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the students should be able to:
· Describe the physiological effects caused by noise.
· Define basic acoustic definitions.
· Describe how sounds are quantified and are analysed.
· Explain basic principles of sound transmission, sound absorption and sound insulation.
· Calculate sound insulation in dwelling houses.
· Carry out traffic noise calculations.
Literature and preparations
Documented knowledge in Building Materials and Building Physics, 15 ECTS corresponding to the content in courses AF1301 and AF1402.
Eng B/6 according to the Swedish upper secondary school system.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- TEN1 - Written exam, 5.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ÖVN1 - Exercises, 2.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web AF2404