This course will give a more in depth knowledge in the area of train traffic and transport on railways and how the market of transports can be predicted, planned and be controlled for better efficiency in future transports. It will be carried out by different projects in a future railway project, se syllabus below. The students choose different projects and together they will be part of the total railway project. Selection of projects will be done at the beginning of the course.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
- The decision process when building a new railway with the different parts; concept study, prestudy, investigation of railway and planning of railway. To understand the process from demand to the final railway.
- Train traffic simulation by study of future train traffic on a new railway line with different traffic patterns and delays how this affects the capacity.
- Economical analysis of different traffic patterns in passenger and/or freight traffic on a future railway and to see if different combinations of trains and timetables can be profitable.
- Investigation of passengers valuation of their journey, service and comfort on the train. This can be done by stated-preference studies onboard the train.
- Analyses of efficient local and regional train traffic by studying different combinations of trains with different combinations of stop pattern.
- Design of signalling systems on a shorter railway track with some stations inclusive capacity analyses.
- Forecasting models for passenger and freight tansport. Comparison between different model systems and demand for data and accuracy.
- Study of litteratur and current research in a topic of own choice. To give actual knowledge of where the limit of research or technology in an railway-related area is totay.
Intended learning outcomes
The aim of this course is to give more and deeper knowledge in selected parts of a railway system and the train traffic and transports on it. After the course the student will be able to describe some parts and have knowledge of the total project. By choice of projects the student can specialize in for example traffic operation, capacity analyses, forecasting, economy, environmental impacts or infrastructure design.
This course is conducted as a project course. The participants choose a railway somewhere that needs to be built, and they then divide in the different areas that needs to be investigated /planned. After decision of railway, study visit at the Swedish Transport Administration and in the planning area the course is carried out in group and project meetings. The examination aim is a written report and a final presentation.
Literature and preparations
At least 120 credit academic studies and documented proficiency in Swedish B and English A or equivalent.
AH2026 ”Railway Traffic - Market and Planning, BC” or equivalent experience.
Literature from the course.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project, 7.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
The grade A is given with four well-passed in the fulfillment of the learning objectives, B with three well-passed, C with two well-passed, D with one well-passed and E with only passed. In the event that fewer than four learning objectives are met, the grade F is given.
Other requirements for final grade
Project work (PROJ1, 7.5 credits).
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web AH2028
Main field of study
AH201X Master Thesis in a railway-related area.