This course provides insight and experience in the design of railway signal safety systems
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
- General principles of signal safety system design
- Signal and railway operation principles
- Side protection, front part protection and rail track circuits
- Shunting movements, interlocking and point switches
- ATP: function, design and validation
- Road crossing protection, functionality and design
- Signaling systems for higher capacity
Intended learning outcomes
The course aims at providing students with basic knowledge of planning and design of signal safety systems for rail traffic through them to:
- Explain the need for a signal safety system
- Understand the various components and functions of a signal safety system
- Designt a secure signaling safety system
- Optimize the system for increased capacity
The course consists totally of twelve days of lectures by the basic knowledge needed to understand the subject. This is supplemented with exercises and project assignments to provide applications on the subject. Examination is five accepted project reports.
The course can partly be read at a distance.
Literature and preparations
At least 120 credit academic studies and documented proficiency in Swedish B and English A or equivalent.
AH2029 Railway Signalling System, bc or equivalent.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- PRO1 - Project, 7.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
PRO1 - Project, 7,5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Other requirements for final grade
A mandatory project assignment equivalent to 7,5 cr with grading scale A-F.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web AH2031
Main field of study
AH202X Master Degree Project in Railway Operation