Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
In this course, we study AI from a sustainability perspective and delve into how the new technology can both promote sustainability and reduce it depending on how it is used. We read about the problems that have existed around AI so far, such as bias in dataset, monitoring, ownership concentration around tools and models, but also about how the new technology has enabled improvements from a social and environmental perspective. We discuss the emerging field of ”smart farming” where AI is used to optimise cultivation and also see how the new technology can improve nature conservation in vulnerable areas.
Intended learning outcomes
After passing the course, the student should be able to:
- - Give an account of the relationship between artificial intelligence and sustainable development.
- - Discuss possibilities and risks with AI from an environmental and societal perspective.
- - Critically review statements about AI from a sustainability perspective.
Literature and preparations
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- INL1 - Assignment work, 4.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web AK122V