Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
The course gives an overview of biosensor technology and its applications in medicine and health. The course also gives an understanding of the applications of biosensors in food safety, environmental monitoring and safety. Summary of contents:
- introduction to biosensors with an overview of economic importance and the multi-disciplinary aspects of sensor technology
- sensor principles and measurement technology for medicine and health
- transducers – electric/electrochemical, optical, mechanical
- biological recognition elements, including cells, DNA, RNA, and proteins (antibodies, enzymes, etc)
- surface functionalization
- micro and nanotechnologies in sensor science including fluidics
- test/individual – sensor interactions
- non-invasive and minimally invasive sensor technology
- criteria of sensor design and manufacturing processes
- analytical parameters for sensors
- multi-analytical methods
Intended learning outcomes
After passing the course, the student shall be able to
- explain the fundamentals of medical sensor technology
- give an account of the physiological processes that are can be studied with medical sensor technology
- describe and explain the main technologies that are used in medical sensor technology with a focus on biosensor technology
- evaluate a sensor based on standard criteria and decide its suitability for specific medical applications.
Literature and preparations
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- LAB1 - Laboratory work, 4.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- PRO1 - Project work, 1.5 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Home exam, 2.0 credits, grading scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Other requirements for final grade
80 % attendance of seminars.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web EK2380