Course contents *
The course is about current speech signal processing technology and provides hands-on experience with the application of signal processing methods. The course includes topics in four main branches of audio speech processing:
* analysis-synthesis of speech,
* speech quantization, coding, and transmission,
* speech enhancement,
* acoustic speaker and/or speech recognition.
Intended learning outcomes *
After passing the course, students should be able to
* qualitatively describe the mechanisms of human speech production and how the articulation mode of different classes of speech sounds determines their acoustic characteristics,
* apply MatLab tools to analyse speech signals in the time and frequency domains, and in terms of the parameters of a source-filter production model,
* solve given problems regarding parameter estimation in source-filter production models and regarding speech analysis and synthesis using these models,
* describe and implement methods and systems for efficient quantization and coding of speech signals, and solve given problems regarding these methods,
* describe and implement methods for speech enhancement, and solve given problems regarding these methods,
* describe and implement simple pattern-recognition applications of speech processing, such as speaker and speech recognition, and solve given problems regarding these methods.
To achieve higher grades, students should also be able to
* solve more advanced given problems in all areas mentioned above.