Information for research students about course offerings
The course is given in a all four periods.
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see current information and more about the course, such as course syllabus, study period, and application information.
Content and learning outcomes
This course consists of the part that constitutes the difference between the courses FAK3024/FAK3136 (4,5 credits) from the courses FAK3137/FAK3138 (7,5 credits). This part is specific for doctoral students and does not correspond to any part of the master level courses.
The student will write and present an essay on a theoretical or methodological problem within the student's own area of research. The student will also critically evaluate and discuss such essays by other PhD-students.
Intended learning outcomes
After having completed the course the student should be able to:
· identify and critically discuss fundamental theoretical and methodological problems within the PhD-student's area of research,
· identify and critically discuss specific theoretical and methodological problems within the PhD-student's own research,
· identify and critically discuss specific theoretical and methodological problems within others' research.
Literature and preparations
To take the course it is necessary that the PhD student has completed studies on advanced level of at least 4,5 ECTS credits in the area of theory of science and research method.
It is assumed that the PhD student has taken at least 4.5 credits at master level in theory and methodology of science.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- UPP1 - Essay, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web FAK3012
Main field of study
To apply for this course you need to have a kth.se account and to...
1) have the course in your eISP
2) have a Ladok admin at your department/school admit you to the course (there is no limit on number of students for the course)
3) fill out the billing information in this form https://www.kth.se/form/application-form
4) Before the start of a course you have to register via the web. You find the web registration function via (https://www.student.ladok.se) when the registration period opens
Schedule can be found by searching for course code on www.kth.se/schema