Information for research students about course offerings
The course will be offered over two periods starting autumn 2022, and is then given in all periods (periods 1+2, 2+3, 3+4, and 4+1).
Choose semester and course offering
Choose semester and course offering to see information from the correct course syllabus and course offering.
Content and learning outcomes
The following is an incomplete list of topics covered in the course.
- Scientific knowledge
- Hypothesis testing
- Observations and measurements
- Statistical reasoning
- Causes and explanations
- Engineering design
- Qualitative methods
- Risk and risk assessment
- Research ethics
Intended learning outcomes
After having completed the course, the student should, with regards to the theory and methodology of science, both orally as well as in writing, be able to:
- Identify definitions and descriptions of concepts, theories and problem areas, as well as identify the correct application of these concepts and theories.
- Account for concepts, theories and general problem areas, as well as apply concepts and theories to specific cases.
- Critically discuss the definitions and applications of concepts and theories as they applies to specific cases of scientific research
- identify and critically discuss fundamental theoretical and methodological problems within the PhD-student's area of research,
- identify and critically discuss specific theoretical and methodological problems within the PhD-student's own research,
- identify and critically discuss specific theoretical and methodological problems within others' research.
11 pre recorded lectures, 4 seminars and exam in the first of the stated study period, 3 essay meetings in the second stated period. A student can choose to take the entire course in one period, please contact course responsible teacher.
Literature and preparations
Entry requirements for PhD studies.
Examination and completion
If the course is discontinued, students may request to be examined during the following two academic years.
- SEM1 - Seminars, 1.5 credits, grading scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Digital examination, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
- UPP1 - Essay, 3.0 credits, grading scale: P, F
Based on recommendation from KTH’s coordinator for disabilities, the examiner will decide how to adapt an examination for students with documented disability.
The examiner may apply another examination format when re-examining individual students.
A student may request a home exam, with the maximum grade of E, if two requirements are fulfilled: (1) This is the last remaining exam left before graduation. (2) It is not possible for the student to attend the written exam because the student is, at the point of the request, residing outside of Sweden and will be residing outside of Sweden for at least twelve months following the request. The examiner approves or denies these requests.
Opportunity to complete the requirements via supplementary examination
Opportunity to raise an approved grade via renewed examination
- All members of a group are responsible for the group's work.
- In any assessment, every student shall honestly disclose any help received and sources used.
- In an oral assessment, every student shall be able to present and answer questions about the entire assignment and solution.
Further information about the course can be found on the Course web at the link below. Information on the Course web will later be moved to this site.Course web FAK3137
Main field of study
The previous module ”DEL 1, participation” is equal to the new module “Sem1” with regards to content, format and is examined in the same way.The previous module ”EXA 1, participation” is equal to the new module “TEN1” with regards to content, format and is but is examined with a digital exam instead of an on-campus exam.
To apply for this course you need to have a kth.se account and to...
1) have the course in your eISP
2) have a Ladok admin at your department/school admit you to the course (there is no limit on number of students for the course)
3) fill out the billing information in this form https://www.kth.se/form/application-form
4) Before the start of a course you have to register via the web. You find the web registration function via (https://www.student.ladok.se) when the registration period opens
Schedule can be found by searching for course code on www.kth.se/schema
Please note! This course replaces F1N5113 Theory of Science and Research Method, Technological and Natural Sciences 7,5 credit